Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Updated View on Education

When I initially went into the classroom, I understood the importance of looking at students holistically to understand them. With this understanding, my educational philosophy could be summarized as all children can learn when given the proper educational supports. Furthermore, this philosophy extended to infer that with these educational supports properly implemented the drop-out rate would decrease and the educational achievement gap would begin to close.

Based on my experiences in the classroom, I believe that leaders around the world must realize that the pressure has indeed increased upon most teachers to deliver competitive services to students. However, leaders must recognize that in order to achieve far-reaching results, pressure must be applied proportionately to all parties who have bearing on the success of our children, i.e. principals, assistant principals, counselors, social workers, teachers, assistant teachers, parents, foster parents, etc. We must change the context in which we view education, if we hold out hope that the achievement gap will ever close.

In short, my view on education has become that all children can learn and excel when provided the appropriate supports in all settings by adults who are held accountable. I will end this post by stating that my experiences in the classroom begs an in dept critical investigation into the foster care system to see how they can best supports wards of the state and others they have contact with both during and after their secondary educations.

Stay Tuned ..................

No comments: