Tuesday, December 30, 2008

High Expectations

I truly believe that teachers MUST raise their expectations if they intend to prepare students to compete in a 21st century world. To this same end, I believe that standards must increase everywhere, not just in the general education setting.

Thus, I instruct my special education students at a high level with maximum educational supports. However, the hidden curriculum behind every lesson that I deliver boils down to creating a love for learning and preparing scholars to think critically and ask questions.

Nevertheless, what I'm finding as I instruct my students is that while higher expectations are preached by everyone few believe that our children can actually succeed. For example, I recently assigned four page papers to all my classes, allowing 4 weeks for completion. Despite the fact that most of my students completed the papers, consultants rebuked the assignment as too rigorous for special education students. (I don't care, as I will continue to have high expectations -- but my concern is that policy makers and consultants must look at all children with the same compassion and optimism that they look at their own children with each night)

In sum, while having high expectations is sometimes met with resistance, high expectations are the only way that we will ever close the achievement gap that exists within this country.

No comments: