Friday, May 1, 2009

Juan Acevedo Wake/Funeral

I just finished viewing the body of my late student Juan Acevedo. {Typically, I would consider this a wake but everyone insist it's synonymous to a funeral here.} It was the most emotional moment thus far this school year .... as I observed countless students and few school officials pay respects and sob endlessly. I then looked into the casket to see a big kid who had not lived his life yet, but had likely seen more than most 60 year old adults.

It still pains me to know that he sat in my classroom; yet I was unable to save him from the streets. His sister informed me at the funeral that he talked about me and my class alot.... However, I know in the end, my time with my kids each day is limited ... and during that time I give "infinities" of effort to foster a life-long love of learning. It is also becoming more difficult as the year come closer to a close, knowing I will not return in September. Yet, I know in the long-term future my impact will have been vast. In closing, please ask yourself am I making a difference -- kids (young and old) are dying each day emotionally and physically)

No comments: